Welcome to my EDU255 blog

Welcome to my EDU255 blog. I hope to learn all kinds of new technologies to improve my online classes.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My teaching philosophy

My Teaching Philosophy
Gioia Goodrum                                                                                                           EDU255
Definition of TEACH
                transitive verb
1a : to cause to know something  b : to cause to know how c : to accustom to some action or attitude d : to cause to know the disagreeable consequences of some action
2: to guide the studies of
3: to impart the knowledge of
4a : to instruct by precept, example, or experience b : to make known and accepted
5: to conduct instruction regularly in

intransitive verb
: to provide instruction : act as a teacher
(www.m-w.com, 2010)

As for the definition above, my philosophy applies more to number four: to instruct by example. For me, teaching is not just about providing information, it’s about learning, for me and for my students. I want to be engaged along with my students. I don’t want to be the expert, but the person helping the students become the experts. To me, to learn is to grow, to step out of what’s comfortable into the unknown. Encouragement, determination, skill development and humor are tenets of my teaching philosophy. A student should be guided by the instructor, providing information but also encouragement to find the answers on their own. Students will stay engaged in topics that are relevant to their life. If the instructor can bring those things to the class, the students can then make a direct connection between the learning and their life. I like to use humor to stimulate and engage the class. Secretly, I wanted to be an actress, and teaching provides a stage where I can perform.
From the time I was a child, I enjoyed teaching. As the oldest of three, it fell to me to show my siblings the way. As a career counselor and academic advisor, my job includes teaching students the ‘ropes’ of college, navigating the website, locating transfer information, and determining a college major, among other things. I also teach cooking classes where I encourage my students to go beyond what they know and try something new. In my online Career Discovery class, I want my students to engage in their own self discovery, giving them a chance to see how they can push through the limiting thoughts and barriers they have created for themselves. Looking back on my life, I have always been teaching, using the knowledge I have, to help someone.

4 comments:

  1. I like your style. Humor leads to discovery! When each of us opens up, and learning happens at a deep level. Your openness to expressing your "hidden" wish to be on stage lets students know they can also be authentic in the classroom.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. By stating up front your wish to not be the expert is great. I often state that I AM NOT the expert; however, if I do not know the answer, I'll find someone who does ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that teaching is about learning for both the teacher and the student. Most people often assume that once you're the teacher there is no more to be learned, however they overlook the experience we learn in the class and on campus until we retire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andromeda, I agree. How can we expect to 'teach' if we don't continue to learn?

    ReplyDelete